This project will demonstrate that the MUSICA MUP is a viable enabling infrastructure for multiple RES, desalination and BG aquaculture services for small islands, that can share the same space and work synergistically together, sharing Supply Chains and reducing Operating and Maintenance costs and solving the increasing demand for space.
MUSICA will provide a full suite of Blue Growth solutions for a small island including:
- Three forms of renewable energy (RE) (wind, PV and wave)(total 870kW), providing high RES penetration and competitively affordable electricity. Three forms of RE provide non-correlated supply.
- Innovative energy storage systems on the MUP, provide all required storage for power on the island and platform, as well as electrical output smoothening (compressed air storage and batteries).
- Smart energy system for the island, including: demand response, modelling and forecasting based on high flexibility services from distributed generation.
- Desalinated water made by desalination unit on the MUP powered by RES providing 1000m3 fresh water for a water stressed island.
- Green support services for island’s aquaculture (pilot 200 tones production).
Objectives of MUSICA
- Develop the pilot demonstrator of the MUSICA MUP solution, and install on site at Innousses Island to test and demonstrate the validity of the MUP in a real operating environment to TRL7
- Implement health and safety plans and improve professional skills through training.
- Maximise the societal acceptance and use of MUSICA MUP based RES, water supply and aquaculture support service, and align impacts with SDGs by embedding the principles of RRI
- Address key non-technical barriers and challenges including those that are environmental, regulatory and legal.
- Support economically viable replication of the MUSICA smart MUP solution through Exploitation and Sustainability Plans for commercialisation and continuation beyond the project end.
- Demonstrate, test and validate the MUSICA MUP solution covering functional and non-functional readiness, cost reduction, shared expenditure, better economic, environmental and social viability.